Local Permit Information for Foreign Travelers: Article on Must See India : 2754 | Mustseeindia.com
Must See India - Best Travel Guide to India
Home   |   Login   |   Register   |   Contact Us
 ›   ›  Local Permit Information for Foreign Travelers

Local Permit Information for Foreign Travelers

by Madhav Srinivasan 1961 days ago

Besides the regular permits like Visa, Foreign Tourists visiting India might need to get Local Permits to visit certain regions in India, especially the states in the North East. While visiting India, some areas may still require special permits.

Visitors with a valid Visa can stay in India for 180 days. After that period, they must leave the country and can return only after a minimum period of 2 months. This holds true even for people who hold multiple-entry Visas and Visas that are valid for more than 180 days.

Any person who holds a Visa that is valid for more than 180 days must register within 14 days with the nearest office of the Foreign Regional Registration Officer at the major metros ‑ Delhi, Kolkata, Mumbai and Chennai. In other places, they must register with the Superintendant of Police. Beside valid Passport and Visa, local permits might be needed to visit certain parts of the country.


The North Eastern States

Most states in this region require visitors to obtain special permits to visit them. All these states are located near sensitive borders with China, Myanmar and Bhutan. Due to possible unrests in these regions, there are more stringent requirements for booking North East India tours.

Arunachal Pradesh

Foreigners must get a Protected Area Permit and travel in groups of two or more people in this state. These PAPs are valid for a period of 30 days.


Protected Area Permits are required here, and visitors must travel in groups of four or more. Married couples are allowed to travel together. The permits are valid only for 10 days, and tourists can visit only certain places such as Imphal, Loktat Lake, Lamjao Deer Sanctuary, and Waithou Lake.


In Mizoram, the Protected Area Permits are also valid only for 10 days, and the places that can be visited are limited. Visitors must travel as married couple or in groups of four or more people.


To visit this state, foreigners must get a Restricted Area Permit. Although this permit can be obtained from the Foreigner's Regional Registration Office in Kolkata or from Indian Embassies abroad, this can be a tedious process. The best place to get these permits is at the Nagaland House in Delhi. Visitors must travel as married couple or in groups of four or more.


The states of Tripura, Assam and Meghalaya do not require these types of permits. Recently, the permit requirements have been relaxed for the states of Manipur, Nagaland and Mizoram


Places in this article

Recent articles

View all
No comments so far. Be the first to comment!

People who viewed this page also viewed

Bharatpur honeymoon packages from Delhi
Delhi packages from Pune
Katra honeymoon packages from Hyderabad
Leh honeymoon packages from Mumbai
Lucknow hotels booking
Madhya Pradesh packages from Chennai
Punjab packages from Kolkata
Tirupati package tour
andaman packages from delhi
dalhousie honeymoon package
jim corbett holiday package
shimla honeymoon package from delhi