Preparing for a bus tour or for long rides on buses, can prove critical if you want to enjoy your visit and avoid any problems. Take care of a few essential points and you can be on your way.
Buses are the most common means of transport
in India, and the fares are comparatively cheap. The various cities and towns
are well linked by roads, and the local services in each city or town is also
good, so that tourists can get around easily.
Though the bus services are good, tourists
need to take care of a few things when they prepare to be on the road for long
- The connectivity between places and within each city is
good. However, the roads can range from smooth to the pothole dirt filled ones.
So, prepare yourself for some rough rides along the way. Restrooms and other facilities might not be available
everywhere, so break your tour into small sections; travel in stages.
- Be extremely careful of where you eat and what you eat.
Preferably, eat only at clean restaurants of better standards along the way.
Avoid the roadside tea stalls and other small eateries.
- As far as possible, avoid travelling alone at night;
- Reserve your bus tickets well in advance if you are
looking to travel in comfort. In India, most of the transport companies run
what is popularly known as the ‘Volvo Class’ buses. These are luxury buses,
fast, comfortable and comparatively safer.
- Make your hotel room bookings in advance, if you do not
want to be stranded in a strange town with nowhere to stay.
- Take a good supply of clean mineral water with you. Tap
waters and other public water facilities unfortunately are not the safest
- Make yourself familiar with the culture and customs of
the place you are visiting, to have a more enjoyable time.
- In India, the language and customs can change over a
course of a hundred kilometers. But most people understand English and the
common cultural thread that binds the country can soon make you feel at ease as
you continue to travel.
- Just take care to respect the customs and beliefs of
the place you are visiting.
to Take with You
- This point cannot be stressed enough – carry your own
supply of safe drinking water.
- Pack mostly light cotton clothes, India is generally a
hot and humid place, and elaborate clothing will just make you feel
- When you are on a long tour, it pays to travel light.
Carry only the most essential clothing and supplies with you. If you run out,
replenish your stock at the next big city, as you move.
- Pack the food you are taking in disposable packs and
dispose of your waste at a suitable place. Most places in India are now care
more about how their city or town looks, and to leave a lot of litter behind
you is not a good idea.
- Carry a good supply of your regular medications. If
possible, also carry a basic first-aid kit with you.
- Get a proper map of the place you are visiting. Make a
research about the local transportation available within that town or city
prior to your visit.
In India, buses and trains are the major,
most used forms of transportation. The road and railway links are very good and
it is relatively easier to travel through the country. Just plan well, take a
few essentials with you and read up on the places you are visiting. Follow the
tips given above, and you are ready to hit the road. Have a pleasant tour!