Gulmarg gives you what other hill stations don't: An amazing off-road experience combined with a few adventures like skiing and curling. To be short, Gulmarg has it all!
A pleasant flower-laden meadow at around 3000 meters covered with dense forests of gigantic pine and fir trees just about gives the right impression of a holiday vacation. One look at the view atop these hills leaves a jaw-dropping sight. Certainly not made up, this is just the beginning of what's to come your way if your taking up Gulmarg tour packages
. With the snow slopes of Khilanmarg to the majestic Nanga Parbat peak, and from forests of tall conifers to rice fields and ridges, Gulmarg has it all!
With perfect snow conditions, one can learn skating, skiing, curling and ski bobbing! In winter, Gulmarg's peaks provide you with a blanket of thick and soft snow that turns its slopes into the finest skiing slopes. If golf is your cup of tea, then you have to visit Gulmarg as it has one of the world's highest international golf course. Gulmarg-Khilanmarg-Apharwat-Alpather is an important trekking base. The ride on the Gulmarg Gondola is not to be missed as it is Asia's highest and longest cable car project which provides an eye-popping view.
As Gulmarg is a hilly region, jeeps are considered best to overcome rough roads and for some exciting off-road adventure. The best time to book Gulmarg tours in North India
is during summers, that is, April to June. The way to Gulmarg is half the enchantment of reaching there!
Must See Attractions
The places of tourist interest are:
- Khilanmarg – An approx half-an-hour journey from Gulmarg to Khilanmarg through valleys of exotic wild flowers will surely sum up a perfect trek with the reflections of the peaks in the surrounding lakes adding to the beauty.
- Alpather lake – Nestled under the shadow of Apharwat mountain are blocks of ice floating in the Alpather lake which are a sight to see.
- Ningle Nallah – These Nallah springs flow from a bed of snow downhill through dense forests near the Apharwat Ridge.
- Lienmarg – Brilliant camp sites can be explored in this grassy meadow.
- Ferozepur Nallah – A very famous tourist spot namely Waters Meet is situated on the banks of this stream.
- Baba Reshi – This saint's shrine is in a serene place surrounded by carved deodar. It is connected by road linked from Tangmarg to Gulmarg. A holiday in Gulmarg is incomplete without a trip to Pahalgam, which is very close to this hill station.
Hotels in Gulmarg offer budget as well as over-the-top luxurious accommodation. Huts, villas, cottages can also be booked within the city with no hesitation regarding the price-tag. Gulmarg offers hotels with all grades basically. The people living in this town are mostly hotel staff and visitors, so, food is of least concern as multi-cuisine specialties are offered in every resort and hotel.
Planning your trip
Two days are enough to club your Kashmir trip
to Gulmarg. A day spent on trekking and hiking through valleys and finally winding up in a hill resort in the middle of the forest. Half a day to enjoy the tourist attractions and finishing with the rest of the day devoted completely to the Gulmarg Gondola.
By road is the only way one can truly capture the beauty of the mountains, ridges, streams and meadows. Hence a cab is preferred by the tourists which can be hailed from Srinagar, about two hours from Gulmarg. One must not forget to ride the ponies from Tangmarg to Gulmarg as they are exciting as well as adventurous.
Click to view map
You can drag the map with your mouse, and double-click to zoom.