The Se cathedral, which took more than 62 years to complete, is an imposing building, commissioned in 1631. The church is dedicated to St Catherine of Alexandria since the Portuguese sailor Alfonso de Albuquerque believed that he could defeat the Muslim armies in 1510 on the feast day of the saint since the Portuguese army had the Saint’s blessings. The church was built after demolishing a mosque, which stood on the same grounds.
The half-Doric and half-Tuscan style exteriors present a mesmerizing view, which encapsulates the interiors of Mosiac-Cornithian architecture. The north tower collapsed in 1776 after being struck by lightning and had not been rebuilt however, the south tower still holds the 'golden bell'.